What to Expect
Quick Tips about Radiation Therapy
- Your Radiation Oncologist will discuss with you various treatment options, possible benefits and side effects of the radiation therapy before you start treatment.
- You will be scheduled for a treatment planning session which is called simulation. This is done with a CT scanner and takes about 20-30 minutes.
- Your treatments will start in 3-7 days after the simulation, during this time a customized treatment plan will be prepared for you. You will be given a schedule of the times and days of your treatment by your radiation therapist.
- Most treatments are given 5 days a week Monday through Friday, no weekends or holidays.
- You need to allow 30-45 minutes for each treatment session.
- Any films or x-rays taken in the radiation treatment rooms are not diagnostic films which mean they do not tell us anything about your disease. The purpose of taking the films is for the radiation oncologist to verify your treatment set up.
- During treatment, your radiation doctor and nurse will see you once a week to discuss any questions or concerns you may have. Family members are welcome in the room.
- It is important not to skip any radiation treatments so that you get the maximum benefit from the treatments. If you are unable to come for treatment please call the radiation therapist or radiation nurse at 269-373-7488.