Hair loss (alopecia) is a common side effect of some forms of treatment. Below is a list of wig providers in our area. Wigs might be discounted or reimbursed through insurance with proper documentation from your oncologist (i.e. getting a prescription for a “Cranial Prosthesis”). You will need to contact your insurance provider first to determine if they offer such a benefit.
Please contact the providers below directly to set up appointments. You can find “TLC” catalogs with wig information in our lobby areas at WMCC. You can also visit www.ebeauty.com for a free wig.
- Allegan Hair Studio: 146 Grand Street, Allegan, MI 49010 – (269) 673-8883. They offer free wigs for cancer patients. Stop in or call to make an appointment. They will show you what they have (donations through American Cancer Society). Wigs can be cut and styled (no additional charge). Hats and scarves are also available (free).
- Berrien County Cancer Service: 7301 Red Arrow Highway, Stevensville, MI 49127. (269) 429-3281. A large selection of free wigs available on loan for as long as patient needs. Private room available, hats and scarves also available through loan closet.
- Studio 1: 2540 Paulmer Ave, St. Joseph, MI 49085. (269) 428-3400. Appointments recommended, private rooms available. Free consult with licensed cosmetologist. Medical grade wigs, some human hair blends available. Hundreds of wigs in stock, typically starting at $199 and up. Some donated wigs are available (free); payment plans also accepted.
- The Hair Shed Natural Woman: 68 E. Michigan Mall, Battle Creek, MI 49017 – (269) 962-8729. Call to schedule an appointment and bring your prescription with you. They offer a selection of free wigs and new wigs ranging from $150-$250. Hats and scarves are also for sale.
- Cleopatra’s Hair Hut: 136 N. Rowland Street, Cassopolis, MI, 49031 (269) 445-2686. Call to schedule an appointment. They offer a selection of free wigs (donations through American Cancer Society). Hats and scarves are also available for free.
- Empire Beauty School: 6091 Constitution Blvd, Portage MI 49024 (269) 329-3333. Wigs are all donated, free. Limited styles. No prescription needed. Private scheduling available in evenings.
- Kali’s Beauty Supply: 1614 W. Main Street, Kalamazoo, MI, 49006 (269) 343-4007. Scarves also available. No appointment necessary.
- Hair Solutions: 824 W. Milham Road, Portage, MI 49024 (269) 342-1661. Appointments can be scheduled to meet in private room. Large selection of wigs. Satin and terrycloth turbans and sleep caps available for sale. Prescriptions accepted. Orders can also be placed.
VAN BUREN COUNTY
- Urban Studio Salon and Spa: 518 Quaker Street, South Haven, MI 49090 (269) 637-6821. Private room available for appointment. They sell a full line of wig options ranging from about $150-250. Purchase wig, receive reimbursement through insurance with prescription and receipt. They also have a limited supply of free wigs, hats and scarves through their American Cancer Society wig bank.
Please note: This list may not include all providers or options in the community. WMCC respects the patient/family right to choice. We strongly encourage you to ask about discounts, delivery time frame and insurance benefits.
For information on donating hair for wig programs, click on the following links: