As hair loss is a potential side effect of some treatments, below you will find a list of wig resources available to you. Wigs may be discounted or reimbursed through some insurance companies with proper documentation from your oncologist (i.e. prescriptions for a ‘cranial prosthesis’). First, please get prior authorization from your insurance provider. You can find TLC catalogs with wig information in the WMCC lobbies. Visit www.ebeauty.com for information on obtaining a free wig. The American Cancer Society (1-800-227-2345) has additional wig resources available as well.
- Allegan Hair Studio: 146 Grand Street, Allegan, MI 49010 – (269) 673-8883. They offer free wigs for cancer patients. Stop in or call to make an appointment. They will show you what they have (donations through American Cancer Society). Wigs can be cut and styled (no additional charge). Hats and scarves are also available (free).
- Berrien County Cancer Service: 7301 Red Arrow Highway, Stevensville, MI 49127. (269) 429-3281. A large selection of free wigs available on loan for as long as patient needs. Private room available, hats and scarves also available through loan closet.
- Studio 1: 2540 Paulmer Ave, St. Joseph, MI 49085. (269) 428-3400. Appointments recommended, private rooms available. Free consult with licensed cosmetologist. Medical grade wigs, some human hair blends available. Hundreds of wigs in stock, typically starting at $199 and up. Some donated wigs are available (free); payment plans also accepted.
- The Hair Shed Natural Woman: 68 E. Michigan Mall, Battle Creek, MI 49017 – (269) 962-8729. Call to schedule an appointment and bring your prescription with you. They offer a selection of free wigs and new wigs ranging from $150-$250. Hats and scarves are also for sale.
- Cleopatra’s Hair Hut: 136 N. Rowland Street, Cassopolis, MI, 49031 (269) 445-2686. Call to schedule an appointment. They offer a selection of free wigs (donations through American Cancer Society). Hats and scarves are also available for free.
- Kali Beauty: 1614 W. Main Street, Kalamazoo, MI, 49006 (269) 343-4007. Scarves also available. No appointment necessary.
- Hair Solutions: 824 W. Milham Road, Portage, MI 49024 (269) 342-1661. Appointments and walk ins acceptable. On occasion, wigs are free when donations are available. Satin/terrycloth turbans and sleep caps are available for sale. Reimbursement is an option with prescriptions.
- Beautifully Unique: 2004 Inverway Court, Kalamazoo, MI 49009. (269) 312-8733. No appointment necessary. Free wigs available when donations are in stock. Various mastectomy resources as well.
VAN BUREN COUNTY
- Urban Studio Salon and Spa: 518 Quaker Street, South Haven, MI 49090 (269) 637-6821. Appointments are preferred. They sell a full line of wig options ranging from $80 to $120. Reimbursement options are available through insurance companies. Free wigs are available when donations are in stock.
Please note: This list may not include all providers or options in the community. WMCC respects the patient/family right to choice. We strongly encourage you to ask about discounts, delivery time frame and insurance benefits.
For information on donating hair for wig programs, click on the following links: